Dry Turkey, said no one ever!! I may be a bit late on this post but if you have the time to still do the shopping for this DELICIOUS recipe for your turkey YOU WON’T REGRET it. It is my personal modified Apple Brine Recipe that I have been using for many years and never disappoints.
BETTY’S YUMMY TURKEY BRINE RECIPE
- 3 cups apple juice
- 1 green apple, quartered
- 2 oranges, quartered
- 1 small bunch of thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 sage leaves
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- One 15-pound turkey, legs and breast separated (see Note)
- 6 sticks unsalted butter (1 1/2 pounds), at room temperature
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped sage
- Salt to taste
- Ground pepper
BRINE your TURKEY
- In a large pot, combine all of the ingredients and add 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, stir in sugar gradually to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat and add 12 cups of cold water and Let it cool. Add the Brine to a large cooler or a double plastic bag adding the turkey to the Brine. Refrigerate for 10-12 hours
- Get a rack ready by using a baking sheet under a rack. Remove the turkey from the brine and set it on the rack; pat the turkey dry with paper towels and refrigerate it uncovered for 8 hours.
- SPREADING BUTTER> in a medium bowl, blend all of the ingredients except the salt and pepper.
- Set a rack in a roasting pan. Rub butter all over the turkey and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set the turkey in the prepared roasting pan and tuck the wings under it. Transfer turkey prepared baking sheet. Let it at room temperature for 1 hour.
- LET’S BAKE Preheat the oven to 400°. Roast the turkey for about 2 hours, spreading butter every 10-15 minutes with the melted butter and covering the breast and legs with foil after 30 minutes, use a food/baking thermometer, once it reads 165° in the thickest part of the breast and 180° in the inner thighs, its READYYYYYY. Let it rest for 30 minutes, Carve and serve.
P.S. I’m grateful for everyday of my life, mom, kids, grand babies, all my family, my fiance, my step children, my fiance’s family, good health, work and love.
Thank you all for stopping by.